Friday, February 27, 2015

Saddest Manga You'll Ever Read

Photo found:
http://a.mpcdn.net/manga/p/17516/414058/5.jpg
Property of Kodansha Comics and Yoshitoki Oima


I've seen some pretty sad things in my life, red light flashing on my internet modem,  an empty tray of pumpkin pie and a live action Dragon Ball Z movie directed by James Wong starring Justin Chatwin. Although all of these things left a hole in my heart, there was one story that did that and then filled that hole up at the very end. I'm talking about Koe no Katachi  (A Silent Voice), this story is so sad, but yet so good. The story revolves around Shoyo Nishimiya a hearing impaired elementary school girl. She one day meets a boy named Shouya Ishida who out of boredom begins to bully her. It's incredibly hard to see the class shift from accepting Nishimiya to later on ostracizing her.

Photo found:
http://i1.minus.com/irazzY1I5pgy2.png
Property of Kodansha Comics and Yoshitoki Oima

The things the boy does to her are so mean and you can't help but to hate him more and more each chapter. Although the class treats Nishimiya like crap she never gets angry but rather she apologizes thinking that she's at fault. Ishida bullies her so much that eventually she transfers schools and he becomes ostracized and bullied himself. He grows up the rest of his life being bullied, having no friends, or ambitions for the future. He then takes it upon himself to find Nishimiya and apologize to her before he commits suicide.

Photo found: http://www.mangareader.net/koe-no-katachi/4/21
Property of Kodansha Comics and Yoshitoki Oima

I read this Manga last semester during finals week of all times, and I just could not put it down.  The Manga runs at 62 chapters and it feels like so much more because each chapter packs so much content. this Manga has great character development especially with the main character Ishida. I hated his character at first so much with a passion, for making Nishimiya go through so much. But as we see him older sincerely trying to redeem himself to Nishimiya and new friends, as a reader you can't help but to be won over. As far as Nishimiya goes, her character was spot on. Due to hear not being able to speak, the author focuses a lot more on her facial expressions to convey her feelings to us as the readers. She does communicate with a notebook at first and then sign language, so we do know what she is thinking but really her facial emotions really drive home in some scenes. I especially loved how even though she goes through so much crap you never see her sulk or cry, but always happy and smiling. So the few times she does get upset or cry you can't help but to fight back the tears.      

Photo found: http://www.mangareader.net/koe-no-katachi/4/21
Property of Kodansha Comics and Yoshitoki Oima


I was actually reading the first couple of chapters at the Library when I was supposed to be studying, so I had to hold back the tears as I was reading. That was the first time a Manga made such a deep impact on me. It's that good guys definitely worth the read, you won't regret it trust me. 

Photo found:
 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/db/Koe_no_Katachi_Vol_1.jpg
Property of Kodansha Comics and Yoshitoki Oima






4 comments:

  1. This comment is on your background. We just discussed them in class so I figured it was appropriate. You have portrayed your topic very well. Good pick!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Alyssa, your background is awesome and really fits your blog topic!

      Delete
  2. Your posts are very long, sometimes short and sweet is better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Alyssa sometimes a shorter post is better. some readers are trying to get straight to the point.

    ReplyDelete